Our counsellors are recognized by the designation Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC). When you see the RCC designation, you will know that the counsellor:
1. is accountable for ethical practices under our standards of practice and code of ethics.
2. holds a minimum of a master’s degree or equivalent education.
3. has satisfied the clinical experience and supervision requirements that are part of our criteria for membership.
4. has submitted a clear criminal record check.
Choosing a Counsellor
When choosing a counsellor consider:
- What counsellor designations are covered under your extended health plan.
- The counsellor’s level of education and training
- How long have they been practicing as a counsellor.
- If there is a complaints process through their professional associations
- If they practice under a code of ethics that is available for you to read.
- If they have had formal complaints filed against them.
- Their hourly fee
- Their availability and if it works with your schedule.
- Those recommended by a friend or colleague.
- If they offer phone support or crisis intervention between sessions.
Finally, listen to your intuition when you conduct your interview and trust your first impressions.
If you would like to find a Registered Clinical Counsellor in your area, please proceed to our search tool: