Practical Ethics: Applying the BCACC Codes and Standards to Excellence in Practice
Presented by Glen Grigg, Ph.D., RCC
Ethical dilemmas arise for all professionals. Dilemmas are those times where no matter what you do, it’s going to be trouble. Being ready to respond positively and proactively to ethical conundrums is good for therapists, and ethical wisdom benefits clients at virtually every step of the therapy process.
This workshop will take participants on a practical journey through the world of professional ethics, with close attention to the Canadian legal and cultural context. Along the way there will be practical exercises and lived experiences to make this topic come to life. Wherever our curiosity may take us, we will always come back to the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors code of ethics and standards of practice.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Why we need ethics in addition to morality
- Ethics for professionals: Fiduciaries, experts, and third-party accountability
- Kinds of ethics: principles, consequences, duties, imperatives, and virtues
- Beyond the rule book: Working with ethical codes and standards of practice
- The heart of the matter: Facing dilemmas
- The relationship of ethics to law
- A model of ethical practice: Building, maintaining, and defending the “space for trust”
- Using the BCACC’s ethical decision model
- What to do when a dilemma emerges: dealing with ethical conundrums
- What to do when agents of the law call: approaches to legal/ethical overlaps
- The crucial ingredients for ethical wellness: professional community and good records
- Working with lawyers, supervisors, consultants, and professional teams
ONLINE SESSION INFORMATION:
Date: Friday September 17, 2021
Time: 9:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Cost: $45.00 plus gst. Registration is open to BCACC members only. NOTE: the registration fee is Non-refundable.
Registration: Pre-registration is required for the September 17th live online workshop.
If unable to attend the September 17th live presentation, this workshop is being recorded and will be available for purchase within eConnect as of September 24th, 2021.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday September 15th, 2021.
Format: “Zoom” Meeting. A separate email will be sent the day prior to the event to the confirmed registrants containing the information for joining the zoom webinar.
Should you encounter a problem with registering please contact Janine Toombs at [email protected] for assistance.
ABOUT THE PRESENTER
Glen Grigg. PhD, RCC practices as a therapist, teacher, researcher, and a consultant, living and working in the world of professional demands and ethical dilemmas. Glen has served on the BCACC board for almost two decades, focusing on regulatory functions, and he teaches Ethics and Law at City University of Seattle in Canada, where he served as program director, and at Adler University. Glen holds a doctorate in clinical and counselling psychology (Walden, 2008) and has published on professional ethics, practice standards, clinical supervision, group psychotherapy, interdisciplinary practice, and humor in psychotherapy. Glen has chaired FACTBC since its inception in 2014. Glen has two children, three grandchildren, two gardens, one mountain bike and two stratocasters.