Why choose a Registered Clinical Counsellor?
Every person who receives the ‘RCC’ counselling designation in British Columbia has met specific educational and training criteria required by the BCACC. What’s more, our RCC members have not only met the academic, clinical competence and professional requirements, they have voluntarily committed themselves to practice according to an ethical code of conduct and standards of practice.
BC’s Registered Clinical Counsellors have a minimum of a Master’s Degree in a variety of areas such as psychology or social work. Many have additional training in their specific area of practice. They have also satisfied the BCACC’s clinical supervision requirements that are criteria of membership.
Every RCC member is accountable for ethical practices under our standards of practice and code of ethics, and every member must have a clean criminal record check. This offers peace of mind for members of the public looking to feel secure when they enter into a professional counselling relationship.
If you want a counselling option that is reasonably affordable, and if you want an option that may be covered by an extended health plan – then choosing a counsellor with the RCC designation is a safe and reassuring decision.
Choosing a Counsellor
Here are a few things to consider.
- The counsellor’s level of education and training
- If they are willing to have a preliminary phone screening or brief interview with you
- If they practice under a code of ethics that is available for you to read
- How long have they been in practice
- Their availability relative to your schedule
- Those recommended by a friend or colleague
- If they offer phone support or crisis intervention between sessions
- Their hourly fee
- Check that the RCC designation is covered under your extended health plan
- If there is a complaints process through their professional association
- Finally, listen to your intuition when you conduct your interview and trust your first impressions.
If you would like to find a Registered Clinical Counsellor in your area, please proceed to our search tool.